July 1 - September 24, 2021
Increasingly dissatisfied with conventional academy teaching in Paris, Cuno Amiet moved to Pont-Aven, a small Breton fishing village, in 1892. Through acquaintanceships with other artists who also stayed in the village, Amiet soon found a new style of drawing and painting, characterized by clear lines, two-dimensional forms, and pure colors. The young Amiet began his artistic training in Munich in 1886. Here, one year later, he met Giovanni Giacometti, with whom he was to have a lifelong friendship. Impressed by the painting they had seen at the "International Art Exhibition" in the Munich Glass Palace, the two friends decided to leave Germany and continue their studies in Paris.
From 1888 they studied at the Académie Julian with William-Adolphe Bouguereau and Tony Robert-Fleury. They shared accommodation and a studio and soon found connections to the Swiss circle of artists around Max Leu and Hans Emmenegger. They both spent the summer months in Switzerland, at times with Giacometti in Stampa, but also in Solothurn, where Giacometti joined the so-called Korrekturstunden (correction lessons) with Frank Buchser, which Amiet attended.